I am a senior lecturer at the Language Academy, with a PhD in Education, specialising in applied drama in English language learning, language teaching and teacher training. I am also the Assistant Dean (External & Global Engagement) for the Faculty of Social Sciences & Humanities.
I have have taught ESL/EFL/TOEFL in the UK, Malaysia, and New Zealand.
My main research interests are in the developing field of drama in ESL/ELT. I am also interested in Second Language Acquisition as a whole, and developing ESL in Malaysia.
If you are looking to do a PhD or Masters in Education (M.Ed) in the following fields, please contact me to discuss how we can work together:
i) Using drama to teach language
ii) Creative teaching strategies in language teaching and learning
iii) Language teaching in general
iv) Reflective practice
v) Critical reflection
vi) Action research
vii) Qualitative research
I currently supervise five PhD candidates.
I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org for further enquiry.
- Qualitative research
- Practice-based research
- Reflective practice
- Action research
- Arts-based research
- Malaysian English Language Teaching Association (MELTA) – Life Member
- Persatuan Saintis Muslim Malaysia – Life Member
- Qualitative Research Association of Malaysia – Life Member
- Human Resources Development Fund (HRDF) – Certified Trainer
- AMN Inspire Training & Consultancy – CEO
- Bee Choo. Y., Abdullah. T., & Nawi, A.M (2018). Digital Storytelling to Unlock Reflective Practice in the Classroom. Asian Social Science, 14(11), 52-58
- Bee Choo. Y., Abdullah. T., & Nawi, A.M (2018). Learning To Teach: Patterns Of Reflective Practice In Written Journal. LSP International Journal, 5(2), 49-57.
- Bee Choo, Y., Nawi, A. M., & Abdullah, T. (2016b). Supporting and Improving Reflective Practice among Pre-Service Teachers Through WhatApp. Jurnal Pendidikan Nusantara (Special Edition April 2016), 53-72.
- Nawi, A.M. (2014) Staging the Textbook: Interweaving Applied Drama and ELT Syllabus. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 4th MELTA International Research Conference in English Language Education, 15 Nov 2014.
- Abdul Rahim, H., Abd Ghafar, A., Nawi, A.M. (2014) Automated Herbicides Machine. In Abdul Wahab, N. and Ridzwan Aw, S. (Eds.) Progress in Process Tomography & Instrumentation System (Series 18). pp 1-15. Skudai: Research Management Centre, UTM.
- Abdul Rahim, H., Dalimi, A., Nawi, A.M. (2014) Pulse Sensor for Detecting Driver Drowsiness. In Abdul Wahab, N. and Ridzwan Aw, S. (Eds.) Progress in Process Tomography & Instrumentation System (Series 18). pp 1-15. Skudai: Research Management Centre, UTM.
- Abdul Ghani, N. and Nawi, A.M. (2014) Using Applied Drama in the Implementation of OPS-English. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 4th MELTA International Research Conference in English Language Education, 15 Nov 2014.
- Ooi, S.T. and Nawi, A.M. (2014) A study of the use of context in applied drama to upper secondary school learners’ communicative competence. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 4th MELTA International Research Conference in English Language Education, 15 Nov 2014.
- Munusamy, P. and Nawi, A.M. (2014) The Effectiveness of Task Based Approach through the Integration of Multimedia in the Teaching and Learning of Literature (Poem). Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 4th MELTA International Research Conference in English Language Education, 15 Nov 2014.
- Nordin, N.H., Mohd Nasir, N.D., Azahar, N.A., and Nawi, A.M. (2014) Using Freeze Frame Technique as a catalyst to motivate students’ participation in learning poetry in English Literature. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 4th MELTA International Research Conference in English Language Education, 15 Nov 2014.
- Nawi, A.M. (2014) Staging the textbook: Supplementing the ESL textbook with drama.Waikato Journal of Education, Special Edition IDIERI 7: The New Zealand Papers.
- Nawi, A.M. (2013) Applying Drama in English Language Learning: Balancing creative processes with creative language teaching. New Zealand Journal of Research in Performing Arts and Education, 4(1).
- Nawi, A.M. (2012) Applied Drama: Connecting the dots between context and creative language learning. Wellington, New Zealand: Drama New Zealand Conference, 18-20 Apr 2012.
- Nawi, A.M., Harasymchuk, B. and Yi, L. (2012) Cross-national dialogue and critiques, and evolving understandings of research. Hamilton, New Zealand: New Zealand Association for Research in Education Conference and Annual Meeting (NZARE), 28-30 Nov 2012.
- Greenwood, J., Stanley, F., Barrett, T.A. and Nawi, A.M. (2012) Play-cing Ourselves: An Integrated Arts Workshop. Wellington, New Zealand: Drama New Zealand Conference, 18-20 Apr 2012.
- Nawi, A.M. and Greenwood, J. (2012) Staging the Textbook: Supplementing the ESL textbook with drama. University of Limerick, Ireland: 7th International Drama in Education Research Institute (IDIERI 7), 10-15 Jul 2012.
- Greenwood, J. and Nawi, A. (2011) Drama and ESL: Strategic Artistry. Auckland, New Zealand: 2nd Critical Studies in Drama in Education International Symposium, 1-2 Dec 2011.
- Nawi, A.M. (2011) My Trial by Fire: Two Earthquakes and 5000 Aftershocks Later. New Zealand Education Review(1 May 2011) Magazine Article.
- Nawi, A.M. (2011) Using Applied Drama in English Language Learning (ADELL) to Build Context in the English Language Classroom.Lumut, Malaysia: International Conference on English Language Teaching (ICELT), 18-20 Sep 2011.
- Zanariah Md Salleh, Sahirah Marzuki., Tina Abdullah, Faruk Muhammad. and Abdullah Nawi, Siti Aishah Abdul Hamid. (2009) Fulfilling students’ needs in carrying out and reporting research in English. In Shamsudin, S. & Hamzah, M. (Ed.), ESP in Action: The Malaysian Context: 93-114. Skudai: Penerbit UTM Press.
- Nawi, A.M. (2008) The Holistic Approach: Using Drama in the Secondary ESL Classroom. In N.A. Mohd Omar and Z. Zainal (Ed.), Research in English Language Teaching: 69-80. Skudai: Penerbit UTM.
- Nawi, A.M. (2008) Using the Holistic Drama Approach in the Malaysian Secondary ESL Classroom. Persada Johor, Johor Bahru, Malaysia: 6th Language For Specific Purposes International Seminar (LSP 2008), 9-10 Apr 2008.
- Muhammad, F., Abd Hamid, S.A., Abdullah, T., Md. Salleh, Z. and Nawi, A.M. (2007) Fulfilling students’ needs in carrying out and reporting research in English. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai, Malaysia: Simposium Pengajaran & Pembelajaran UTM 2007, 28-29 Nov 2007.
Anugerah Perkhidmatan Cemerlang 2018, Canseleri, UTM
Champion, Area A2 Toastmasters International Speech Competition 2014/2015
MELTA Excellence in English Language Education Research Award (Bronze) for Teacher Trainer/Academician category 2014
Winner, Thesis-in-Three, Malaysian Postgraduate Association of Canterbury, NZ, 2013
Winner, Research-in-Three, College of Education, University of Canterbury, NZ, 2012
National Champion (Team), Parliamentary-style Teachers’ Debates, 2005
National Champion (Team), Parliamentary-style Inter-Teacher Training College Debates, 1999