synonym for time-oriented data, time-varying data, time-dependent data
Definition of temporal data:
Temporal data is data that varies over time (Jensen and Snodgrass, 1999)
A temporal data denotes the evolution of an object characteristic over a period of time (Daassi and Nigay, 2004)
Time dependent data is characterized by data elements being a function of time. In general, data takes the form of d = f(t), where data defined at discrete time stamps t, f is functions of time (Muller and Schumann, 2003)
Time series data is characterized by data elements being a function of time. In general, this data takes the following form, d = yt and y = f(t)
Key references for Data Temporal
- Noah, S., Yaakob, S., & Shahar, S. (2009). Application of information visualization techniques in representing patients’ temporal personal history data. Visual Informatics: Bridging Research and Practice, 168-179.
- [Daassi et al., 2004] Chaouki Daassi, Laurence Nigay, and Marie-Christine Fauvet. Visualization Process of Temporal Data, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3180, Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, 2004.
- [Jensen and Snodgrass, 1999] Christian S. Jensen and Richard T. Snodgrass. Temporal Data Management, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 11:36-44, 1999.
- [Müller and Schumann, 2003] W. Müller and H. S. Schumann. Visualization Methods for Time-dependent Data – an Overview, In Proceedings of Winter Simulation 2003, New Orleans, USA, 2003
- [Weber et al., 2001] Marc Weber, Marc Alexa, and Wolfgang Müller. Visualizing Time-Series on Spirals, In Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Information Visualization 2001 (InfoVis 2001), p. 7-14, October 2001.