A paragraph should have
- 1 topic sentence
- a few supporting sentences
- 1 conclusion for topic sentence
Tips to expand a topic sentence. Supporting sentences must expand the topic sentence. Plese refer to this cartoon and easy to understand graphic
- Adjectives (summary – key points – gist keep here).
- Who – main character/entity suppose to be here.
- Current situation
- Give settings –
Tips to use transitions. Please refer to this nice handwriting summary that I found from pinterest.
- To contrast – despite, however, yet, rather, instead, otherwise, even though. nevertheless, at the same time, yet, in contrast, instead
- To compare – likewise, as well as, either, similarly, in the same way, comparatively, too, also, along with,
- To show time – recently, now, after, then, finally, before, first, following, subsequently, next, meanwhile, presently, later, simultaneously
- to show example – for example, to illustrate, such as, in fact, for instance, in addiction, specifically, for instance, specifically,
- to show a cause-effect – as a result, consequently, therefore, accordingly
- Add to – in addition, furthermore, moreover, additionally, next, lastly, also.
- Result – hence, therefore, in conclusion, as a result, accordingly, thus,
- to summarize – all in all, as a result, finally.
To hook your reader, use:
- Description word picture – ‘I peeked out the window at the hot morning sunshine…’
- For business writing – they like these power words. E.g. easy, effective, facilitate, focus, ignite, impact, boost, active, affect.
Tools to help your writing
- hemmingway app – http://www.hemingwayapp.com/