3MT is a universally recognized research communication competition which aims to assess the students capacity to succinctly communicate their research effectively in 3 minutes in a language appropriate to a non-specialist audience.
Faculty Level (21 Mac – end of Mac 2018)
- 15 representatives from each faculties (compulsory students with zamalah & Ainuddin Wahid)
- PhD students
- Active students – register this semester
- Each school will have 3 participants to perform in UTM Level at JB.
- Jury -cross – faculty
UTM Level (2nd April 2018)
- Winners can modify the slides
- Polish the english & pronounciation
National Level – UTP (2nd May 2018) —> International Level (Australia) —> Berlin
- Passion and connect with audience
- focus on audience’s need
- keep it simples – try to tell your research to your grandma (no jargons)
- smile and make eye contact
- start strongly
- tell stories
- sincere – easy to mold and train them after that.
- cheerful – telling a stories instead of presentation.
- confident – so natural
Structure of presentation
- Introduction – PS – methods – expected outcomes
- Design of slides – messy or too crowd?
- Voice, gestures, pitch, tones – natural
- Mood – happy, sad or angry
- a single static PPT – only a single static power point slide is permitted.
- limited of 3 minutes – exceed will be disqualified – Presentations are limited to a maximum of 3 minutes and contestants who exceed 3 minutes will be disqualified
- No reading of notes allowed
- No slides transition, animation or movement of any description are allowed
- No additional electronic media (sound, video files) are permitted
- Start – bell once
- 30 second before 3m – rang twice
- 3 minutes – rang 4 times (approx 300 words)
- Content –
- appropriateness of content
- content is easily understood
2. Effective delivery
- ability to engage the audience
- clear and effective language ue
- effective use of body language
- effective use of keywords/graphics
4. Highlight the significance of their research – to humankind, animalkind
Example from last year
- google 2017 Asia-Pacific 3MT winner – from UMP
- Jaysumman 3mT from UTM 2015
- President of PGSS Razak School (Nik)