Blended learning is defined as the practice of combining both online and face to face learning experiences (30%-79% of the course content is delivered online). By referring to Dasar e-Pembelajaran Negara (DePAN 2.0) – 70% online learning by the year of 2020.
At UTM, to comply blended learning – we need to have these elements for each course:
- A – at least 1 information in the introduction. Must upload the CLO
- B – at least 7 resources – files, slides, journal, youtube, books.
- C – at least 3 activities – forum, wiki, glossary, chat
- D – at least 2 assignment submit through elearning
- E – at least 28 hits average per student
|Each Public Universities need to ensure that the practice of blended learning (e-Learning) meets predefined conditions. These condition and practice of blended learning courses offered at UTM were evaluated and reported as follows:|
|1.||Level 1 : Fulfill condition EL1 only; (CO)|
|2.||Level 2 : Fulfills condition EL1 & EL2 / EL1 & EL3 / EL1 & EL4 / EL1 & EL5 only; (at least 50% of the total content or 7 units weekly lecture notes)|
|3.||Level 3 : Fulfills condition EL1, EL2 / EL3 / EL4 and EL5 only; (organize at least 3 online learning activites during the semester. E.g forum, wiki)|
|4.||Level 4 : Fulfills condition EL1, EL2, (EL3 + EL4) > 5 only; (using at least 2 online assessment during the semester. E.g. Assignment, quizzes)|
|5.||Level 5 : Fulfills all condition EL1, EL2 , EL3 , EL4 and EL5; (Average access for each student to e-learning known as Active index greater than 28 times during the semester – at least 2 time per week)|
Blended Learning Level:
CL1: Fulfils condition EL1 only;
CL2: Fulfils condition EL1 and EL2 / EL3 / EL4 only ;
CL3: Fulfils condition EL1, EL2 / EL3 / EL4 and EL5 only;
CL4: Fulfils condition EL1, EL2, EL3 and EL4 only;
CL5: All 5 elements of blended learning fulfils; and of course active index average access 28 times per semester per student.
Courses that belong to CL4 and CL5 level are considered as a blended learning courses.
Anugerah UTM eLearning and Blended Learning:
Achieve EL5 – Anugerah Pengajar eLearning paling aktif
Achieve CL5 – Anugerah Kursus Blended Learning paling aktif
(masukkan dalam eLPPT – anugerah & awards)
This is my results for the last semester. Alhamdulillah, got level 5 for UANP6013. Thanks to my active students and Dr Rasimah for great support. Insya Allah, we will try to achieve 5 for Business Strategy Management. Actually Prof Madya Dr Nor Zairah is very active at padlet – lets link the padlet into eLearning next semester.
A System in which course syllabi, lecture notes, quizzes, assignments and discussions forums can be accessed online.
The eLearning evolution @UTM
From 2016, Using Moodle v2.9 – they use cache – using SSO my.utm.my – elearning will go to the current semester.
Facilities of eLearning:
1. Create online activities – between lecturer and students, among students or a few lecturers and students
2. Submission assignment
3. Quiz online
active learning – Engaging Learners through active learning by Prof Khairiyah UTM
- Advanced Organizer – introduce the topic 10-15 minutes
- Intermittent Discussion – informal cooperative learning, repeated every 10-15 minutes
- Closure Focused Discussion – summarize the class session around 5 minutes.
Update 19 feb 2020. Tools for active learning
Here is a directory that compile interactive tools online. This effort will support us to execute active learning in lecture. The directory contains over 1,000 entries in which categorized in four main areas – instructional tool, content devolopment tools, social tools, personal & professional tools.
Among the tools we can use:
1. Prezi – be careful, your audience can be dizzy
2. Padlet – organize and plan your padlet well – it can be your contents for eLPPT. CTL can give you extra marks if you really utlize your subject content here.
3. Kahoot – kahoot can lead you to edutainment ctl. There are a few of edutainment apps. We can download at CTL UTM
4. Powtoon – http://www.powtoon.com. It is a powerful tool for us to animate the presentation tools. This will lead us to UTM-MIT-Blossoms.
5. Wideo – create video online
6. Creaza – https://www.creaza.com. Creaza is a digital learning tool that enables students to work with different subjects and topics by creating mind maps, presentation, comic strips, movies and audio productions.
7. Storybird – http://storybird.com. Visual storytelling for everyone. A plafform for writers and bloggers.
8. be funky – https://www.befunky.com. Photo editing & graphic design made for everyone.
9. Coggle – a clear way to share complex information – mind map.
Last but not least – we can use powerpoint – but put more on active learning activities (e.g. blank page in the middle of class, unique elements after 20 minutes lecture, a game or interactive picture. I think the most relevant and cute one is actually the storytelling element to help students understand the gist of our lecture in a narrative and interesting way).
Handling students copies of your presentation – (e.g power point slides – hardcopy or elearning)
- Before the class – they will be well prepared before the class and this can improve student learning, opportunities for active learning.
- After the class – students underutilized the notes, they don’t pay attention during the class, refused to attend the class, fail to develop good note taking skills.”many students and teachers believe that writing down new information in their own fashion helps them learn”
(Carrier et al, 1988).
- Make up and organize your powerpoint.
1. Prepare opening questions – please come out with positive and negative answer.
Reflect and relate this question with the topic we want to teach. And also relate with the
2. Clarify the lesson’s objectives.
3. Ask students to think for 2 minutes
4. Ask students to stretch their body
5. Rearrange their positions from one position to others
6. Do active learning presentation
7. Pause every 12-15 minuters – what we should do?
Jing tag themselves as simple visual communication.
Yes, it is true. For cheap, simple and light image and video editing – we can use Jing. It is similar like camtasia, captivate pro, photoshop but in an easier way.
- Google shortener
Google Apps – we can embed in the eLearning and Frong VLE
- Google docs – writing documents collaboratively. e.g class planning – we can edit, post. Similar like MS word.
- Slides – slide sharing, portfolio – for presentation. Similar like power point.
- We can edit slides at the back while someone present the front slides
- Through these we can keep track either they participate well or not.
- Form – survey, information seeking, respons with auto analysis, we can reshuffle question – very easy.
- My map – involved area, places, map
- Drawing – mind map, labelling, flow chart, shoeing process, Labelling the picture
- Calendar – important date, meeting
we can send/share through whatsapp, email.
Use, share & embed these tools with UTM eLearning
Collaborative learning medium
- Schoology.com – exactly like Facebook. But they have some features for teaching & learning process (e.g. upload assignment)
- Wiki – collaborative website.
- padlet.com – we can relate to elearning.
Tools for Collaborative Learning
- Creative presentation – prezi, powtoon, emaze, present.me, visme
- Collaborative learning – google slide, google share, scibblar.com
- Poster creation – glogster, picktochart
- video based learning -teacher tube, Khan Academy, Lynda
- For survey/poll – poll everywhere, socrative, quizsnack
There are courses for best practices of the tools – offer by CTL UTM (refer to their poster – http://utmlead.utm.my/wp-content/uploads /2016/01/kalendarctl2016v1.pdf)